Saturday, December 10, 2011

Letter from MTC Dec. 10, 2011

Hola Amigos!
Que Paso? I'm sorry I didn't write yesterday, I forgot to tell you that yesterday was In-Field Orientation and that today is P-Day for Elders leaving next week. In field orientation was good, informative, exciting, but also extremely long. We spent all day in a few different classrooms getting lectured about everything they can think of about the field. I don't remember very much since there was so much information. I do remember i need to plan very well, make good goals, work with the members a lot and do everything with tons of faith that it will work out. I'm super pumped to get out of here and really start my mission. It feels like I haven't even started my mission yet, I've just been at an extreme gospel camp where I read scriptures and learned Spanish. It's exciting because I finally get to put to use everything I've learned into the real world. I'm comparing it to graduating from college and starting my career because I've been in school like 15 years and never really got to put all that to use for me and I've been in the MTC 9 weeks but haven't truly got to use it yet so I'm excited. I've actually grown to kinda of like it here. I love how much scripture study i get, I really love reading the Book of Mormon now. I won't lie, before this I didn't really like reading scriptures all that much, but now it's like, when it is personal study time, I have to read and find out what happens next! Yeah I know it makes me sound like a BOM nerd but hey, I'm a missionary. The definition of a Missionary is BOM nerd so I'm just trying to fill my role well :)  I'm almost done with Alma and I started over around the end of October so for me, I'm cruising.

So today we went to a temple session in Spanish, it was sweet. I understood about 25% of what was said. I figure that's probably more than I'm going to understand when I first arrive in Panama and I'm still adjusting to how fast they all speak. I feel like my Spanish is pretty good, especially when talking about the gospel. I'm pretty sure I'll freeze up the first time I try to say anything but it's all in the learning process and I'm sure some funny stories will come out of my Spanish, plenty already have. Elder Atuake and I traded shirts, a sweet Tongan rugby shirt for a Ragnar shirt. And he got me an awesome tupenoo, aka a lava lava. (skirt like thing islanders wear) I'm pumped to wear it on hot p-days.

Dad and Mom,
Today I sent home a package of stuff I don't need in panama so I hope you get it. Thanks for all the packages; I'm sorry to say the camera charger you sent didn't work for Atuake's camera, but another Tongan had an extra camera so he gave him that so i think he's ok. Also I also sent home my MTC schedule so you can see what my schedule was here. Also I haven't opened that card yet so I'll have something to open on Christmas morning. And THANKS a ton for the ipods!! I really enjoy them! I think with those and the CD's and the lack of time I'll have to listen to music anyway, it should last me! Who knows maybe I'll get some sweet Panamanian music.

Brit,
Thanks for all the pictures and stuff! I hope ya liked the pictures. Can I make a request for my blog? Put the picture of only me in front of the Provo temple as my main picture, I really like that one. I have on my glasses and a new hair cut in that photo.

So I forgot your letters in the room so I'm going to send another email later tonight answering questions.

Thanks for everything all you guys have done to support and show your love for me while I've been here! I love you guys! I realize it'll be a lot harder to send packages and physical mail when in Panama so I'm not expecting anything. You guys have sent enough for the whole 2 years already! From here on out I'll be receiving the Lord's gifts in the form of baptisms and other awesome things! (don't worry Brit, I'm not a super awkward missionary yet calling everything celestial). I'll be writing another letter later tonight. Also, don't send anymore letters through dearelder.com here cuz I won't receive any more here and they said they just throw them away.

Les amo mucho! I love you guys so much! Thanks for everything!
Love,
Elder Devin Pfister

No comments:

Post a Comment